A great nutritious accompaniment to a meal!
Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family, known for their cancer fighting properties. High in vitamin C (one portion contains 77% of the recommended vitamin C daily amount), vitamin K and beta-carotene, cauliflower is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich. Try this simple recipe to liven up your cauliflower dishes. I used to think cauliflower was rather bland but I think, (like me) you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how simple yet yummy this dish is.
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- Olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 mild red chillies
- Pepper and salt to season
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling water to blanch only (a couple of minutes). Cool it down completely by immersing in cold iced water, drain and dry completely (It mustn’t be wet).
- Once completely dry, toss in a couple of tps olive oil. Heat a griddle pan and grill the florets(in batches if necessary) on a high heat, turning them regularly so they get charred on all sides.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tbs olive oil and heat the whole garlic cloves and chillis until the garlic turns slightly golden.
- Pour them over the hot florets and toss together. Season to taste and serve!
Optional: Use broccoli instead of cauliflower or have a combination!
Variation: Add lemon slices or thinly sliced toasted almonds